Saturday, April 14, 2007

Water Bottles

Message from Leigh - East Coast Challenger

This is part of an e-mail that I received which raises concerns over the proposed Ontario Water Act.

Although eliminating the diversion of water from the Great Lakes Basin is a major concern for water activists, the SSOWA allows water in containers under 20 litres to be exempt from prohibitions on diversion. This includes most of the bottled water that is being extracted from the Great Lakes Basin in Ontario by Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Nestlé, and Aquafarms 93 (which bottles for other retail outlets including Wal-Mart, Shoppers Drug Mart, and Loblaws). This industry is growing annually by 18% in Canada, and bottled water is transported outside the province and outside of Canada.

I recently made the conversion from purchasing plastic water bottles to carrying a 750 mL lexan, leak proof, FDA approved (no harmful toxins leaking into your water from the container), and break proof water bottle that I got for about 5 bucks at Canadian Tire. I couldn't be happier with it. This simple step will help the earth in a number of ways , not just the obvious of less disposable plastic bottles. Brita or other such water filters instead of bottled water are also awesome ways to avoid more waste.

No comments: