Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Recognizing Ones Struggles

Message from Candice - East Coast Challenger

When I went to Cuba I packed a suitcase full of old clothes and shampoo and lotions and anything in the house I had that I wasn't using. I distributed most of these things in my hotel room, leaving a note for the maid so that the hotel wouldn't think she was stealing (as she might otherwise be accused for). I also gave a few bag fulls to one of our tour drivers who has been living with his wife and three children in one room since he had his first child almost eighteen years ago. I think it's important that we as travellers educate ourselves about the living conditions of the local people. When we travel to beautiful places to reap the benefits of their geographies we should remember (especially in places like the Caribbean) that the people cleaning our rooms and serving our meals are often struggling to get by while foreign entrepeneurs are making millions off their land. Every person I gave to in Cuba thanked me personally either with notes or kisses but what I learned is that it wasn't just about the gifts - it was because my offers showed that I cared that really touched them. Sometimes just showing a person in need that you see them and you recognize their struggle is worth as much or more than what you can offer them in material goods.

No comments: